Home>Biology homework help
Term Project – week 8 – (17%):
You were just hired by an airline industry to create a database to record the various airlines and the pilots that work for them Discussions with the industry representatives focused on two initial entities, Airlines and Pilots; the following key points were agreed: 1. Each pilot is assigned a unique PilotID. 2. Each AirlineID is unique 3. Each pilot may work for one airline, each airline can have many pilots. 4. FName, LName, JobTitle and Salary describe each pilot (with the obvious meaning) 5. AirlineID, NPlanes, NRoutes, NPilots describe each airline (NPlanes number of planes, NRoutes number of routes, NPilots number of pilots) 6. No fields beyond those in the report are needed.
The objective of this exercise is to demonstrate an understanding of some basic concepts covered in the course. The exercise is a straight forward application of those concepts – there are no “hidden” complexities – should you identify something in the key points or data that adds complexity, contact the instructor before submission – you may be over thinking the exercise.
The sample data may not represent all possible values of each field – consider each field’s domain during the design.
The objective is to replace the following report with a relational database. The submission will consist of a word compatible document to record the design process, and an Access DB.
Here is the relational schema (table notation) for the above report / table: PilotAirlines (PilotID, FName, LName, JobTitle, Salary, AirlineID, NPLanes, NRoutes, NPilots)
The functional dependencies are: PilotID – – > FName, LName, JobTitle, Salary, AirlineID, NPLanes, NRoutes, NPilots PilotID – – > FName, LName, JobTitle, Salary, AirlineID AirlineID – – > NPLanes, NRoutes, NPilots
The specific tasks are listed below, the percentage in parenthesis corresponds to the grade weight for each task. Name your document Last Name_TermProject (i.e. Smith_TermProject). When you are asked to provide an explanation or description, include enough content to demonstrate that you understand the definition, term, concept, etc. and how it applies to this exercise.
SUGGESTION: Review the Terms and Concepts Discussion, especially the One-to-Many Normalization Process: Parts and Suppliers example. There is also a normalization MP4 file that can be downloaded from the Resources section.
Incorporate the following outline in your submission – include the section numbers – not the questions or other content from the instructions.
1) Review the existing report, functional dependencies provided and the sample data (as well as field domains and common knowledge) and document any assumptions you feel are appropriate (beyond those in the key points) and identify initial entities (person, place, thing). (10%)
2 Define functional dependency, and explain one row of the functional dependencies provided above in plain English (use field names). (15%) (you do not need to explain partial or transitive dependency)
3) Based on multiplicity – explain the relationship between the initial Entities in plain English – (either one-to-many, or many-to-many). (15%)
4) Design: specify all tables and fields at each normal form level a) First Normal Forum (1NF) assessment / action – if needed 10% Copy the 1NF definition from the text (include quotes and page number) Assess the UNF table provided and if necessary, make the changes needed to conform to the 1NF definition. Document the resulting 1NF table(s) using relational schema notation or spreadsheet format (see the above example or page 111 Figure 4.2.6 of the text). Explain how each table(s) meets the 1NF definition (use field names) b) Second Normal Form (2NF) assessment / action – if needed 10% Copy the 2NF definition from the text (include quotes and page number) Assess the 1NF table(s) in the previous section and if necessary, make the changes needed to conform to the 2NF definition. Document the resulting 2NF table(s) using relational schema notation or spreadsheet format. Explain how each table meets the 2NF definition (use field names) c) Third Normal Form (3NF) assessment / action if needed 10% Copy the 3NF definition from the text (include quotes and page number) Assess the 2NF table(s) in the previous section and if necessary, make the changes needed to conform to the 3NF definition. Document the resulting 3NF table(s) using relational schema notation or spreadsheet format. Explain how each table meets the 3NF definition (use field names)
5) Use the 3NF tables in your design, to create an new MS Access database, load the sample data provided, Name your database Last Name_TermProject (i.e. Smith_TermProject). (5%).
6) Create a Query, that provides the results for the following request: List each PilotID, FirstName, LastName, the Airline each pilot works for, sorted by pilot. (5%)
7) Create a Form: New Pilot Input (5%)
8) Create a Report: Pilot List – list all pilots, their first and last names, and Salary (5%) Upload the database to the assignment area as one of the deliverables
9) Submission content organization, clarity, spelling and grammar (10%)
The assignment You were just hired by an airline industry to create a database to record the various airlines and the pilots that work for them Discussions with the industry representatives focuse has been handled previously by writers from Wridemy.
About ASAP Essays
We are a professional paper writing website. If you have searched a question and bumped into our website just know you are in the right place to get help in your coursework. We offer HIGH QUALITY & PLAGIARISM FREE Papers.
How It Works
To make an Order you only need to click on “Order Now” and we will direct you to our Order Page. Fill Our Order Form with all your assignment instructions. Select your deadline and pay for your paper. You will get it few hours before your set deadline.
Are there Discounts?
All new clients are eligible for 20% off in their first Order. Our payment method is safe and secure.
Hire a tutor today CLICK HERE to make your first order